British Museum dish turns out to be rare Chinese artifact

0

A stoneware dish on display in the British Museum that was previously considered Korean has been identified as the “rarest of all Chinese Imperial ceramics.”

The simple green-glazed artifact was originally Korean in origin, but is actually one of less than 100 surviving examples of Ru wares, the museum said in a statement.

The Ru objects were created between 1086 and 1125 for the Imperial Song court in northern China, according to the British Museum.

The dish was purchased in 1928 by collector Sir Percival David in New York.

In the 1970s, researchers decided the dish was Korean, but their claim has now been refuted by German scholar Regina Krahl, who studies the Ru articles.

The museum said researchers at the Forensic Institute at Cranfield University subsequently proved “beyond a reasonable doubt” the origins of the dish.

British Museum Director Hartwig Fisher said: “This remarkable discovery is the result of the very latest academic and scientific research.

“It was through this collaboration that experts shed new light on an incredibly rare Chinese ceramic, revealing its history as a highly prized piece used by the Northern Song Imperial Court. “

close


British Museum (Tim Ireland / PA)

British Museum (Tim Ireland / PA)

Jessica Harrison-Hall, Head of the China Section and Curator of Chinese Ceramics, Decorative Arts and the Sir Percival David Collection at the British Museum, said: “Regina Krahl’s experienced eye alerted us to re-examine the dish that is smaller than that of an adult. hand.

“Compared to the other Ru items in the collection, the cut of the foot ring, the shape of the brush washer, and the ice crunch inside the glaze looked convincing, but the color of the glaze was pretty good. gray and marks on the base much larger than the usual sesame seed shaped ones, so to be sure the scientists were called.

“They proved she was right and that another Ru article existed.

“These are incredibly rare, beautiful and ancient – made just 20 years after the Battle of Hastings. “

Download the Sunday World app

Download now the free app for all the latest news from the world of Sunday, Crime, Irish Showbiz & Sports. Available on Apple and Android devices


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.