The houses of the sons of the “mafia don” drug lord hit by Molotov cocktails
Two homes hit by petrol bombs in Coleraine recently belong to the sons of “mafia don” drug lord Peter “Skeets” Neill, we can reveal.
One of the attacks took place at the home of cocaine trafficker Jonathan Neill.
Last May, Neill was jailed for six months for being part of a drug gang busted by undercover cops.
Johnny Neill – who was incarcerated and released from prison and featured in this article for fighting – lives in one of the bomb-damaged properties at Westbourne Crescent in Coleraine.
The 27-year-old lives there with his mother Mena Kennedy. She is the ex-wife of Skeets Neill and she was pictured alongside the notorious drug dealer while on a now infamous holiday in Egypt a decade ago. Mrs. Kennedy has no involvement in the crime.
Skeets was granted special court permission to go on a luxury vacation as he was facing possession charges at the time and had to ease his bail conditions.
The second property targeted by a petrol bomb belongs to Johnny’s older brother, Peter Neill Jnr, who lives in Somerset Drive.
He was once named in court, along with his father, as a ‘senior member of an organized crime gang’ after cops accused them of carrying £600,000 worth of cocaine – although the charges were subsequently removed.
Petrol bombs caused minor damage to both properties – our picture shows burn damage next to the front room window of Johnny Neill’s house.
It is unclear if the attackers were targeting coke dealer Johnny or if it was a wider attack targeting his father Skeets.
‘Johnny and Peter live in houses just a five minute walk away,’ a source said last night.
“But Skeets lives nearby and his house wasn’t hit, but that could be because he lives in an upstairs apartment and everyone knows he has security cameras everywhere.”
Skeets was jailed for 20 months in 2013 for his role in smuggling £50,000 drugs from China and was described in court as a ‘don’t mafia’ with more than 180 criminal convictions.
Two men – also two brothers – have already appeared in court accused of being linked to last week’s petrol bombings and a series of other incidents in the North West on the same night.
It emerged at a bail hearing that the two defendants, Sean and Gary Anderson, were out on bail when they allegedly threw the petrol bombs, after being charged with the murder of Karol Kelly, a 35-year-old man years of Derry in 2018.
Sean Anderson (23) and Gary Anderson (25), whose address cannot be published for legal reasons, appeared via video link at Antrim Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday charged with criminal damage and throwing Molotov cocktails.
It was reported that police, having previously witnessed a report of smashed windows in Loguestown Park, received a report at 7.17pm that a Molotov cocktail had been thrown outside a house in Westbourne Crescent.
Smoke damage was found and a broken WKD bottle was found at the scene.
The event was linked to an incident earlier in the day when the aggrieved party observed a man, whom she described as ‘big in build’, smashing a glass bottle in the driveway of her property.
Police heard from several members of the public about a maroon colored Volkswagen in the area at the time. Further reports were then received of an incident in Somerset Drive, Coleraine at around 9.15pm, with a man reporting that a Molotov cocktail had been thrown at his property.
A beer bottle was recovered from the scene for forensic examination.
Police then received a final report of damage to a vehicle in the York Avenue area of Portstewart at around 9.28pm.
A member of the public reported four men causing damage to a red Volkswagen Jetta with the windows smashed.
The police officer told the court that the vehicle belonged to Gary Anderson and following an inspection, a bundle of white rags with red stitching was found in the car.
Two rags were missing from the package and a visually identical one was recovered from the bottle found on the Somerset Drive property.
Sean and Gary Anderson were located at their bail address and were arrested and questioned, mostly responding “without comment”.
The police officer told the judge there was a risk of further offenses and said he was concerned that as yet unlocated phones belonging to the defendants could be destroyed if bail was granted.
He also said there would be a risk to public order, saying reprisals could be sought, and recommended that the defendants be remanded in custody for their own safety.
The brothers’ defense pointed out that a number of those injured were known to police and that the defendants had been out on bail for 18 months without issue.
The judge refused to grant bail to the defendants and set a May 23 date for the men to appear in Coleraine Magistrates Court.